MusiCounts Believes That Music Adds Possibilities
Who We Are
ABOUT MUSICOUNTS & HISTORY
MusiCounts is Canada’s music education charity associated with the JUNO Awards and we believe music adds possibilities for youth. We celebrate musical excellence, and put instruments into the hands of children who need them most. MusiCounts’ mission is to ensure that all youth in Canada have access to the transformational power of music education in their school or community, and that's why the charity focuses on improving access to music education for youth by offering instrument grants to schools and communities.
Access to music education continues to decline across Canada because fewer schools and communities have the necessary resources. In 2019, MusiCounts received over $6 million in school instrument requests, but could only support 1 in 5 schools, so there remains a significant gap.
There are many benefits of music education for youth, including:
- Music education increases language proficiency, self-confidence and focus, bridges cultural gaps and promotes collaboration.
- It has been shown that music lessons significantly enhance children's cognitive abilities.
- Music education also positively influences emotional development, and helps children communicate and express themselves.
MusiCounts achieves its mission through its six main programs:
- MusiCounts Band Aid Program - musical instrument grants of up to $15,000 for schools
- MusiCounts TD Community Music Program - musical instrument grants of up to $25,000 for community organizations
- MusiCounts Teacher of the Year Award - recognizes one exceptional music educator each year
- MusiCounts Scholarships - post-secondary scholarship program that aims to help launch the music industry careers of high-potential individuals
- MusiCounts Inspired Minds Ambassador Award - recognizes those who have had an extraordinary impact on education and the charity over the course of its history
- MusiCounts Learn - a program to help teachers and parents keep students engaged with music education at home